Batch Conversion: Word 2000 to PDF

Subject: Batch Conversion: Word 2000 to PDF
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 11:31:56 -0800

Good morning,

I've got a couple hundred documents which I need to regularly convert from
Word 2000 to PDF format. The plan is to use the "Create Adobe PDF"
functionality in Word, and generate PDFs using Acrobat Distiller 4.0. I
would just print all of the docs to file and then drop them in Distiller,
but I want to generate bookmarks for them.

I could use the "Create Adobe PDF" command for each file, but obviously this
would take all day.

I'm comfortable writing a Word macro to do this, and Adobe seems to expose
the functions "Create" and "FileToPDF" for this express purpose. The only
info I'm missing is how to define the parameters that I want to pass
(regarding quality, bookmarking which headings, etc.) from Word to PDFMaker
and from there to Distiller. Having searched and queried high and low
(already done comp.text.pdf and the Adobe forums), I'm at my wit's end.

So, I'll kneel before anyone who can:

a) Provide me with enough information to write a Word macro that does this.

b) Recommend a decent third-party tool that will do this (and doesn't cost a
mint).

Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Meridian Project Systems
Manager of Documentation
604-904-0822 ext. 112
dbarefoot -at- mpsbc -dot- com
www.mps.com

Meridian News!
Look who's using Prolog WebSite. See how Gilbane Building Company keeps
staff up to date on current project information, communicates effectively
with project team members located in different geographical areas, and
builds a large scale project on time and under budget. For more information,
visit our website at www.mps.com or call 800-850-2660.