Re: FrameMaker - Hours to Learn?

Subject: Re: FrameMaker - Hours to Learn?
From: "Nancy E. Kaminski" <nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:33:55 -0600

From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>

> Questions for listserv FrameMaker users:
> There is an old saying that 80% of any applications end-users use only 20%
> of the application's functions. How many hours of study & hands-on does
it
> take to learn that 'core' 20% (I assume) FrameMaker functionality?

If using Classroom in a Book for FrameMaker as a learning tool, I'd say you
could be capable of using FrameMaker's basic features in about 2 days (16
hours). That's assuming you have a template to work with--you can learn to
apply styles, modify them to a certain extent, insert tables and graphics,
and put a book together.

I think you'd need longer, about a week, to learn to manipulate master
pages, generate indexes, and create your own templates. That's about how
long it took me to be able to start feeling confident I could use FM without
making too many errors and wasn't intimidated (too much) by such strange
animals as reference pages.

Nancy Kaminski

Nancy E. Kaminski , Technical Writer/Editor
Fairview Health Services, Minneapolis, MN USA
(612) 672-6882 phone, (612) 672-6083 fax
nkamins1 -at- fairview -dot- org | nancykam -at- mediaone -dot- net
"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so." -- Douglas Adams