Re: comparing help authoring tools

Subject: Re: comparing help authoring tools
From: Diane Backus <DBackus -at- DocByDesign -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:28:16 -0500

Uma,
I recently conducted a comparison of RoboHelp and ForeHelp (the rtf-based
versions). I concluded that ForeHelp is by far a superior product and
recommended it to a client, even though I personally have only used RoboHelp.
One of the big reasons for going with ForeHelp was I didn't want to stick this
client with the Blue-Sky marketing/support problems that I have had the past
couple of years. My experience so far with ForeFront support has been
outstanding, and it is a much easier product to learn. (For more details, email
me off-list).
BTW, I do not work for ForeFront, nor have I been paid to write this!
There are a few other tools out there that are cheaper (EasyHelp comes to mind),
but I have no details on their quality of support or ease of use.
Hope that helps,
Diane Backus
Documentation By Design

Uma wrote:
Hi,

The only documentation that goes with the telecommunication
software
applications that my new company makes is user
manuals created in Word and
pressed on CDs. Are there any problems in this being
the only "written"
user assistance we provide?

I believe we should move on to providing help that is
accessible from within the
application ( - online help?). Quite a simple need! A
lot of you are doing
that and more.

I'd be grateful to hear from you on how to go about
identifying the most
appropriate and cost-effective solution for this. I
found a lot of info
about Robohelp. I feel if offers (and costs) a lot
more than what I need
here. What are the more basic tools available? Could
anybody suggest sites
that might offers such comparisons. I looked at
www.zdnet.com but didn't
find much there.

Have a nice day,

Uma.