(OT?) FrameMaker and Importing Images

Subject: (OT?) FrameMaker and Importing Images
From: "Christopher" <addforlist -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "Techwr List" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 23:30:38 +0100

Dear All,

I am working on a User's Guide, and as ever I have questions (nightmares
even!) about images. I have searched the archives (many a time) and have
tried to educate myself a minimum on graphics and formats (from one of my
earlier questions to you all I can recommend
http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/ufm/tip-9807.htm for beginners) but
I still feel a helpless beginner... :(

There are a fair number of screen captures, and I when I reference/import
them into FrameMaker them I use a dpi of 96 (I'm working in Windows), which
I believe is correct as I have a resolution of 1024x768.

For screen captures that will not fit into a frame at this resolution (96
dpi), *can* I change to any resolution so the image fits, or I am best to
work at multiples (e.g. double therefore 192 dpi, or 1.5 and so 144)?

I think I remember reading that my import dpi should be an even multiple of
the printing dpi... I'm not sure what this will be (I better find out from
our secretary/printers!!) - 300 or 600 dpi???. Anyway, is this right?

Additionally, if our UG is to be printed into b&w, should I change the
format before importing/referencing to Frame or does this make no
difference?

We are sending our UG to the printers in PDF. Again, should this be in b&w?

Finally, Frame will only sometimes accept my .png images (although other
programs have no problems with them), other times spitting them out with an
import filter error. Any ideas why? I'm using png as a) I'm a beginner b) I
don't know better c) despite reading various archives, I have been unable to
find a good reason for using TIFF (which seems far too complicated and
tiresome).

Thanks for any answers to these questions or any pointers. Tools I have at
my disposal include FrameMaker 5.5, Snagit 5.0, Paint Shop Pro 5.03 (and
Photoshop 5.5 somewhere), ACDsee 3.0.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

ps last time I checked the FrameUsers web site they were down - I will check
them out soon, but now I am going home to sleep (it's now 11pm here in good
'ol France - have a nice day at the work the rest of you) :-))