Re: Converting Documents Formulas to use

Subject: Re: Converting Documents Formulas to use
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Karen Koldyk <kkoldyk -at- email -dot- fleming -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 20:40:14 -0500

I heard somewhere that when people were estimating what it would cost
for companies to have their legacy systems reviewed and corrected by
programmers for Y2K problems, they used a dollar per line of code as a
rule of thumb. Seems to me that what you're asking for is at least as
challenging. And in the Y2K case, only a small fraction of lines were
actually touched, as most lines did not deal with date information. In
your case, on the other hand, every line will be touched. So even if
someone argues that the labor you need won't be as expensive as COBOL
programmers, I think you could still use that figure as a starting
point.