Re: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable."

Subject: Re: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "allow" v. "enable."
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:29:46 -0500

I have to admit to disliking both. Both sound a bit stuffy and formal. And
yes, "allows" does smack of permission.

I'd favor recasting the sentence into a bit more vigorous form, such as

Use the Cost Wizard to add, edit, and delete customized pricing structures.

As a general rule, the fewer the words, the plainer the explanation.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com