Re: "allow" v. "enable"

Subject: Re: "allow" v. "enable"
From: "Joyce Fetterman" <joycef -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 17:41:28 -0500

Ron wrote:
> But I am wondering if perhaps "enable" is better
> when documenting software applications.

I also document software. We often use the term enable to mean "turn on
this feature", such as "enable the 3270 viewer." It's a technical
audience, so I don't have to resort to "turn on the 3270 viewer"; in
fact, "enable" is clearer for my audience.

Consequently, I use "allow" when indicating whether or not a user can or
may do something. However, I agree that the best solution is to write in
the active voice as much as possible.

--
April 15th: Make it just another day!
http://www.fairtax.org/