Re: a vs. an

Subject: Re: a vs. an
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: Kelly Parr <KParr -at- c-bridge -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 10:27:34 -0600

According to the Dictionary of Problem Words and Expressions by Harry
Shaw, either a or an is correct in this case. I quote his entry:

"With the words 'history' and 'historian,' a preceding 'a' is more often
used today than 'an.' In 'history,' the 'h' is always pronounced; the
'h' in words such as 'historian' and 'historical' was formerly not
pronounced, but it frequently is in contemporary usage. Always say 'a
history book,' but refer to 'an (or a) historian' and 'an (or a)
historical novel' as you please. Both are standard usage."