RE: Ghost Writing/Publication Credit

Subject: RE: Ghost Writing/Publication Credit
From: Kay Robart <kay -dot- robart -at- integratedconcepts -dot- com>
To: Marilynne Smith <marilyns -at- qualcomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:12:58 -0600

I was not taking the term "ghost writing" literally. It depends upon
the agreement. I am thinking of a similar situation where I was asked
to put the SME's name as principal author of an article that he had
only reviewed (and made no comments on). I was not asked to take
my name off, but it was given second place. However, I have heard
of writers being asked to put ONLY the SME's name as the author. In
that case, I think it would be OK to include the article as a work sample
and explain the circumstances.

On the other hand, if you have made an agreement to "ghost write,"
and remain completely anonymous, yes, I think part of the deal is
that you do not get credit for the work. I can't imagine agreeing to
that unless I don't want to be associated with the work!