FWD: Re: FWD: Preparing a translator test

Subject: FWD: Re: FWD: Preparing a translator test
From: anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:37:22 -0700 (MST)

-Thanks to all the ones who responded to my mail, it was of great help.
I subscribed to the LASTRA list as Traci suggested (thanks Traci!), and
now I need your help with something else.

As I told you in my previous request I am a translator working as a
technical writer, the company I am working for wants to hire more
translators (by the way from English to Spanish and viceversa) and I
was asked to help in elaborating a test for the prospective employees. I
work in the IT department doing work instructions for the BaaN IV system and
for the department.

My boss told me that some of those translators will work as technical
writers, as I do, and that the company is planning to group them in the
QA department. He doesn't agree with that and asked me what did I think
about it. Since I am new to this profession I don't know for sure what
will be better. I would say it will be better to be all of us together but I
am not even sure that these translators (future technical writers) will be
helping me.

So anyway, what I need is to know how are you grouped in your company?
If there are writers for IT and QA and other departments and work together
in the same location or are distributed within the departments? In other
words what is your situation as a full time on site technical writer? How
is a group of technical writers coordinated managed and distributed the
work within a company? What is the common practice?

Please help!

> At 04:34 PM 3/1/2000 -0700, anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com wrote:
> >I would like to know if there is any translators subscribed to the list.
> >If there is any, have you been given a translation test previous to
> >contract? How was you experience? Any recommendations on how to
> >administer tests for prospective translators?
> >
> >I work for a company that needs to contract translators, I am a translator
> >but work as a Technical Writer, so they asked me to prepare a test for the
> >prospective candidates. I have never being in that situation, any help
> >will be very much appreciated.

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.