RE: Clarification (was Real Offense) --now just really of...

Subject: RE: Clarification (was Real Offense) --now just really of...
From: "Michelle Wolfe" <WOLFEM -at- bcbsil -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:30:31 -0600

Kimber wrote in response to my post:

<<snip>>
This part of the message jerked my chain. I interpret this as the kind of professionals chest-beating about "my education is more 'dense' than yours, so I'm stronger, better, faster..
<<end snip>>

Just to set the records straight, my educational background is not in any type of writing or training. My education came from experience.

I apologize for using the term "highly technical audience" to mean computer software/hardware technical. I do agree with Kimber that "Technicality is relative to the audience."

However, while I consider myself a Technical Writer, please don't call me to write technical marketing documentation or technical customer service documentation! My area of expertise is in the computer industry related to software and hardware. I don't think I am "chest-beating" when I say that I am good at it. Merely stating a fact that is well-known among my clients.

<<snip>>
Try to teach someone to read. You've been doing it for so long it's like breathing--simple and instinctive. But tell that to the adult who never learned it.
<<end snip>>

My first actual job in the Technical Writing arena was as a writer/SME to teach people how to write COBOL code. I had written in COBOL for over a decade. I experienced firsthand how easy it is to forget how hard it was to learn. Believe me when I say that was one of my most challenging assignments.

<<snip>>
There are way too many niche markets in this profession for anyone who specializes in any one of them to brag about standing out to the others. Get some perspective.
<<end snip>>

As a businesswoman, I feel confident in my abilities. I am sure there are people like me in every industry, in every job, not just in Technical Writing. We do a good job. We satisfy our customers. It's not bragging, it is marketing ;-)

Michelle Wolfe
Training Consultant