Re: Team Leading

Subject: Re: Team Leading
From: Faun deHenry <faun -at- sancity -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:01:32 -0800

Anon:

While I lurk on this list for the most part, I couldn't help adding my 2 cents
on this issue.

Allan Ackerson's advice is good! I'd add a few items to his list.

1. Take your former "competitor" for the position to lunch.
Acknowledge her disappointment and capability. Then
discuss her expectations and concerns. Talk with her
about what you want and expect from her as well.
Encourage her to work as your ally.

2. On issues regarding your team or its output, invite feedback
from your colleagues. Then make your decision and move on.
If you're right 50% of the time, you're doing better than
most managers. But your team also needs to know that you
respect them and their opinions and that you're willing
to listen.

3. When you make a mistake (and you will), admit it. Learn
from it. Move on.

Faun deHenry
Director
San City Productions, Inc.