Re: MS Word Master Document

Subject: Re: MS Word Master Document
From: "wallace stokes" <eirdr -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Andriene -dot- Ferguson -at- concisetech -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:12:43 PST

Andriene Ferguson wrote:

I have a 300 page manual to update. The manual was created in MS Word as a
Master doc. I am trying to decide whether to keep it as a master doc or to
convert it to one word doc. I know Word does not handle large documents
well, but if I link all the graphics I think it should be okay. I have never
worked with Word's master doc feature, but I have heard horrible things
about it.

Most of the things you have heard, about Word's Master Doc feature, are unfortunately true. My recommendation depends upon what version of Word you have available. If you have 2000, and a robust PC, you can handle a pretty large document without crashing. Just make sure you hae plenty of space on your hard drive. If you're stuck with version 7 or earlier, break the document into its component parts, make your changes, make a secure copy of everything you've done and put it in a remote location, reassemble the Master Doc, and pray. I really don't think linking the graphics will do much to improve the reliability of Word's Master Doc feature.

Good luck

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: eirdr -at- hotmail -dot- com