RE: portfolio questions

Subject: RE: portfolio questions
From: "Guy A. McDonald" <guy -at- nstci -dot- com>
To: "Sharon Deitch" <Sharon -at- eshbel -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:41:38 -0600

Sharon Deitch states:

> I have some thoughts and questions for the more experienced people on
portfolio building. While you're working at your current job, do you think
about and plan your portfolio for the future? Also, the writing that
appears in our final documentation is edited work. I'm assuming this is
true for many of us. So, do I display the final work and explain that it
has been edited (sometimes I don't like the editing)? Do I "reedit" it and
display that? If an interviewer questioned me on phrasing, the answer very
well could be "My boss wanted it that way." Not a very good answer.
--------
The nature of our business is primarily a work in progress. Back in the 80s,
most samples that any of us produced could be looked at as "embarrassing."
For instance, some government related samples that I have published and read
would make your eyebrows curl. Today, the stuff could take awards for crummy
layout and style. Thank goodness that several aspects of format are purely
subjective!

However, people with wisdom will understand the reasons behind your sample
submission. Hopefully this attitude would be present with the hiring
authority. So no, I am more forgiving when it comes to submitting samples as
well as reviewing them. And yes, it is a good thing to keep your resume and
portfolio current.

Guy McDonald
guy -at- nstci -dot- com