RE: Mentoring

Subject: RE: Mentoring
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 16:17:02 -0500

Kimber wants to know if the Wise TECHWR-Ler with Scads of Experience mentors
new writers or contractors.

I have been called a wise a** who is older than dirt? Does that qualify?

And I have mentored many a TW. Just the other day I said, "Arise, TWit," as
I banged a TW on the shoulders with my majestic STAFF. "Arise, TWit, and go
forth to smite the foes of DOCUMENTATION."

Seriously, if by mentoring you want to know if I answer questions, share my
expertise (such as it is), teach newbies where the bodies are buried and
which SMEs can be trusted and which ones should be avoided, check up on
newbies to make sure they haven't gotten hopelessly stuck and confused,
praised their first feeble, tentative efforts, and encouraged them to spread
their wings and fly.

Yeah, I done that.

I've been lucky. I've worked with good people, learned from good people,
and been helped by good people. I take it as a given that you can't pay
people back for their sharing of their knowledge with you, but you can pay
forward. That's an obligation I think professionals take seriously.

Pompously Yours,
Tom Murrell