manuals without chapter numbers

Subject: manuals without chapter numbers
From: "McIntosh, Cathleen" <Cathleen -dot- McIntosh -at- vistacpg -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L digest'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'FrameUsers.com FrameMaker Discussion List digest'" <framers -at- lists -dot- frameusers -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 17:02:40 -0600

Hi everyone,

My coworker and I are trying to come up with a way to provide multiple
clients with updates to our user guide. The problem is that each client
receives a version of the same book, but renumbering the book chapters is
always necessary, which is time-consuming. So my coworker had the ideal of
eliminating the chapter numbering and implement a naming convention for
sections instead. This would actually work quite well if we want to use the
source files to create online help. The only problem I see this causing is
in the index, where page numbers and entries would be convoluded. So our
idea is to use an appreviation for the section name in place of the chapter
number in the index. Then we could provide a legend at the bottom of each
page in the index for quick reference.

We realize it is a different approach and that it may take our users a while
to get used to it. Anyone see anything we are overlooking or has anyone
tried something like this?

Thanks for any input,

Cathleen McIntosh
cathleen -dot- mcintosh -at- vistacpg -dot- com