RE: Text is bad: Was Ideas in Motion

Subject: RE: Text is bad: Was Ideas in Motion
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <rstevens -at- hubdata -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:56:03 -0500

Tim Alton wrote:

> The fact is that reading, unlike speech, is an acquired skill,

My reply:

Whoah! What announcement did I miss that says we're born speaking, let alone
speaking *well*?

Beyond the basically emotive (like crying), *all* communication forms are
acquired.

This looks from my perspective like yet another holy war a'borning, and for
no good reason. Sometimes graphics are better than text, sometimes text is
better than graphics. At my company, our current product *is* text --
information on ongoing events in the corporate world.

I'd be interested in hearing ideas for how we could graphically represent
two companies merging, for instance, or a stock split or name change -- in a
way that would actually make more sense to people than the word "merger"
does. <g>

Rebecca