RE: Preparing Unix Help

Subject: RE: Preparing Unix Help
From: "Bilbo, Tom" <TBILBO -at- probusiness -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, awaterhouse -at- ordinox -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:45:59 -0800

I think the tool you use really depends on version of Unix you're using.

A year ago, I worked on a help project for a NON-GUI pharmacy application
that used Unix 5. I used RoboHelp (V7) to take the documentation (that was
in Word) and base online help on that. Once I had the files the way I
wanted, I used "Web site generation" to generate the html files.

This presented a good environment to create the help, and modify the links
where needed. To support context sensitivity, I had to rename the topics
within RH to an 8-character name. I liked the fact that RH had some good
topic management tools.

BUT, thanks to the company and manager being rather cheap on equipment and
time, it was a "FUN" job managing over 1200 topics using such a memory hog
as RH.

Later,

Tom Bilbo
Senior Technical Writer, Technical Publications
ProBusiness Services, Inc.
Atlanta - 770-446-4060 x 335
Pleasanton - 925-737-3442
tbilbo -at- probusiness -dot- com <mailto:tbilbo -at- probusiness -dot- com>

Communication is cheap, why not use it......
a semi-original quote by Tom Bilbo <G>