RE: Text is bad: Was Ideas in Motion

Subject: RE: Text is bad: Was Ideas in Motion
From: edunn -at- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 15:22:15 -0500

While I haven't really been following the thread closely, I do have a couple of
examples of illustration instead of text. Mercedes produced a maintenance and
operations manual for a line of truck which contained no text. The entire manual
was pictures, illustrations, and pictograms. The manual had to be useful to a
largely illiterate audience.
Also, one of the best tests I ever heard of for a tech writer, involved a series
of steps that were to be improved. One of the best improvements was to produce
an illustration.
Effective communication is not always best accomplished by the written word.

Eric L. Dunn