Re: Education for tech writers

Subject: Re: Education for tech writers
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:12:19 -0500

Win Day wrote:

> At 08:26 AM 3/21/00 -0500, you wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>

> >Perhaps if engineers had more of the liberal arts education many of the
> >difficulties I read about in this group would disappear.
> >BTW certification programs are important and necessary but, as I have
> >stated above, that should come after a liberal arts degree.
>
> Ooooh, them's fighting words!

<snip>
> Please don't generalize about engineers. I've met many engineers who can
> write VERY well. I've also met a number of liberal arts graduates who were
> terrible writers.

Agreed. And I know accountants who can't add or think and lawyers who
don't know the law and doctors who don't give a d--- for their patients
health. The list goes on and on. I did not generalize. Merely expressed
an observation. See below.

> My clients hire me so their engineers and scientists can do what they're
> hired to do. They weren't hired to write; I was. It's not that they
> can't, it's just not their job to do so.

Again, agreed. But then why are there so many postings about the
frustrations that TW's are encountering with engineers?

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig.
You soon realize they both enjoy it.