RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker

Subject: RE: Framemaker vs. Pagemaker
From: Kuovonne Vorderbruggen <kuovonne -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 07:25:35 -0800 (PST)

When I did my tech comm degree, we were taught about concepts
(white space, fonts, page layout, usability, etc.) and our choice
of tools was totaly up to us. If the assignment was to design a
brochure, I went out and designed a brochure and printed it up
and handed it in. The professor didn't care what tool I used to
create it.

There was PageMaker in the Department Mac lab. There was
FrameMaker in the unix lab in the library. I had Word 6 on my
own Window 3.1 laptop. (Guess which tool I used.)

Teach the concepts. Make as many tools available as possible.
Let the students pick their own tools for their assignments.
Then, at the end of the semester when a job opening comes
along that requires the other tool (and it will, no matter
which tool they initially use), the other tool will be available
for them to pick up, which should be easy since they
now understand the concepts and terminology.

-Kuovonne

http://im.yahoo.com