re: Do Customers Have Implicit, Unspecified Right to Documentati on?

Subject: re: Do Customers Have Implicit, Unspecified Right to Documentati on?
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:01:32 -0700

This posting has prompted some "legalistic" replies. Here's another
approach.

Recently I scanned the web to purchase a flash for my camera. The flash
comes with a diffuser to use when you attach a wide angle lens. These
things are easy to lose and consequently the diffuser is available as a
spare part. Quite a few vendors, apparently in their desire to offer the
lowest price remove the diffuser from the oem packaging and it's just in the
fine print (if at all) that potential customers are informed of this. This
is typical of the sleaze one encounters in the photo mail order arena.

And this sounds like your company, Joe. One tough lesson in human behavior
is that it's not intent that counts, but rather effect. The very fact
you're debating this with your customer means you will very likely lose them
forever as a repeat customer. It sounds like your company could get a clue
by reading the Cluetrain Manifesto. See http://www.cluetrain.com/