Re: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees

Subject: Re: Worthless Tech Comm Degrees
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:45:45 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote

> > When I did my tech comm degree, we were taught about concepts
> > (white space, fonts, page layout, usability, etc.)
>
> And they probably didn't spend 1/100th of a second actually teaching
anything
> useful like how a network works, what inheritance is, or how to break down
> complex design into component pieces.

Your problem, Andrew, is that you are behind the times. If you want to learn
about all that stuff you are talking about, you have to take a degree in
graphic arts. Technical communication degrees are for people who want to
learn page layout and design.

If you take an advanced degree in technical communication, you will learn to
draw pretty pictures and will stop using words altogether. To learn to
write, you will need a bachelor of fine arts degree.