Re: Documentation Statistics Needed

Subject: Re: Documentation Statistics Needed
From: walden miller <waldenm -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:09:45 -0700

whatever the statistic turns out to be, it is a fiction.

In 15 years of tech writing, I have written API docs, GUI tool docs, command
line tool docs, marketing collateral, newsletters, a book on CD-I, and even a
cookbook. All considered tech writing, all with different parameters and
audiences and definitely different amounts of time per page. Of course, the
other minor fiction is deciding when a page is finished. Does a finished page
timespan include review time by someone other than a copyeditor ?

Your boss would be better off to ask how long will it take to write a manual on
a specific topic and what do you estimate the page count to be.