Re: Re[2]: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees

Subject: Re: Re[2]: What sayest me... on Worthless TC Degrees
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "Harry Hager" <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>, "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 07:06:41 -0500

This is of some interest to me, because of the amount of doc design we do.
Let's speculate on the items you bring up, Harry. This discussion isn't to
downplay the role of an index, but to see if the need for one can be
minimized.

First, there is the issue of the multiple references to the ABC window. If
the writer had an appendix for all relevant windows, with all reference data
there, wouldn't that keep the user from having to look up those items in the

When you say "XYZ function", I assume you mean a task for the user to
perform, not a function in its technical sense, as it might be in an API
manual. In that case, why wouldn't a manual structured as task-based satisfy
that need? In the Clustar Method, for example, we break down tasks into
clusters and prominently label them as such. For instance, the XYZ function
might be "Executing the XYZ Function". This cluster could then be placed in
a logical position in the doc, with cross-references extending to other
clusters that might need them (something that's easy in Frame, by the way).

Cross-references, properly done, wouldn't need index entries. For example,
cross-references from "Executing the XYZ Function" could mention the QRS
function, the 897 function, and the THX function. Properly planned, such
"print hypertext links" could make sure that the user had alternate paths
supplied without flipping to the back. And those cross-references can become
literal hypertext links if you output to PDF, HTML, XML or the like. The
document itself becomes a conceptual web.

Given that most manuals don't get indexes due to budget constraints, perhaps
such a strong structure would make a reasonable substitute.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar(TM) System
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
Check our Web site for the upcoming Clustar class info
http://www.simplywritten.com