RE: Are we WRITERS????

Subject: RE: Are we WRITERS????
From: Barry Baldwin <barry -dot- baldwin -at- sanchez -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:16:06 -0500

I can see why "irregardless" is technically incorrect, but I'm curious why
"prioritize" is technically incorrect. Is because the original noun has been
verbofied by adding the "ize" suffix? That's the only thing I can think of.
We probably have e e cummings, A A Milne, and Salman Rushdie to blame for
that. Personally, I have always been much more of the proscriptive language
school than the prescriptive language school. It lets me believe, at least
for a little while, that language is infinite. And what a cool feeling to be
a craftsperson of the infinite. I don't mean to slam or blast anyone. This
is only my opinion, and no one is obliged to agree with me.

Regards all 'round,
Barry

Ladling out steaming bowls of rich creamy documentation.

English: The original open-source code.