HTML ToC and Index

Subject: HTML ToC and Index
From: "JG" <johng -at- zyxel -dot- com -dot- tw>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:05:16 +0800

The thread on indices/indexes made me wonder how important an Index and a
Table of Contents (ToC) are for HTML help?
I normally use Word 97 (multiple files and RD fields to create ToC's, Lists
of Tables etc and an Index) to create manuals for print, then convert the
doc files to .html and "clean them up" using Dreamweaver. The HTML files do
not have a "real" ToC (I create links to each chapter on a separate page),
Lists of Tables etc. or an Index. A little laborious, but "free" since I
already have/use Word and Dreamweaver.
Is there a more efficient way to create HTML help from source Word files?
What alternatives are there and at what cost ?
How can I create a "real" HTML ToC and Index?
Thanks for any help you can give.
John