RE: Sites like Guru.com

Subject: RE: Sites like Guru.com
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:13:30 -0500

> From: Sharon Burton-Hardin[SMTP:sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net]
>
> I am finding that these sites don't provide many real leads, either. The
> sites that allow bidding on projects are amazing. People are representing
> themselves as technical writers charging $10 an hour. Of course, people
> are
> getting what they pay for but it is difficult to get across to potential
> clients that crap is crap, even if it is cheap.
>
> Please don't flame. My thoughts alone.
>
> Sharon Burton-Hardin

I, for one, appreciate this feedback about these web-based job sites. I
suppose this is another example of the marketplace in action. "Let the
buyer beware" would seem to be the obvious phrase to apply to those who
think cheap is the same as good value.

I can't help wondering what that will do to our ability to earn a living
wage if companies looking for documentation on the cheap start going to
these places in droves. I guess one thing we could do is charge high for
fixing the bum work that will surely result.

Of course, I hear other voices on this list who will no doubt say that if
that's the way the marketplace will go, we have to yield to its
inevitability.

All in all, it will be interesting to watch this trend going forward.

Tom Murrell