Networking (was: Silently screaming)

Subject: Networking (was: Silently screaming)
From: "B. Pfister" <bpfister -at- frii -dot- com>
To: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 15:21:50 -0800

Haha! Ain't it the truth! Of course, networking this way may result in a job
but certainly not respect from coworkers. Some people honestly do not care
about the latter, so it works for them. Hey, I'm a little biased after
seeing a lot of abuse of networking.

I sometimes get e-mail from prospective tech writers who ask about
networking. I tell them what I consider to be honorable and dishonorable in
networking. There is a protocol, at least I think so. Maybe the most
important thing is who you know shouldn't excuse you from being good at what
you do. Next, you shouldn't lay guilt trips on your family and acquaintances
and call that networking. You shouldn't convey the idea that you need or
expect something.

I like networking with people I don't know, people who are accomplished in
my field. If they take an interest in helping me become a better writer or
take a new step in my career, I can be sure they're not doing it out of some
sense of duty or obligation. I can feel they're doing it because they see
something worthwhile in me.

Networking has sometimes indirectly led me to jobs, but mainly it's given me
opportunities to meet people, and if that someday results in an amazing
dream job, that's great. If not, I still know all those great people!

:-)
Betsy