RE: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples

Subject: RE: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples
From: "Chris Fitzgerald" <chrisfitztex -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 13:35:29 PDT

I want to reply to this thread because I'm in a similar position as the original poster. I read her/his request for samples and thought that it sounded a bit odd, too. However, about a year ago, I wondered what a "help system" written with RoboHelp looked like. So, I requested to see a person's from another list. She gladly sent me a PDF version of her original help system. It was simple, incomplete, and just enough for me to ask some intelligent questions about the product.

I know technical writing sounds self-explanatory, but it's not from a new person's perspective. I know. Even my tw professors were a bit vague. I've learned that it's a simple term for an expansive topic.

jarnopol writes...First off, if you're a "new" techwriter, you shouldn't be expected to have a "killer" portfolio.

I respond....
I've interviewed for "entry level" positions where they've expected much more than "entry-level" qualifications. This is a dilemma, but the suggestions to build a portfolio have been very good. It is very time-consuming; it is especially time-consuming if the person is working full time (like me).

I'm interviewing for a position next week, and the only technical documents that I have may seem lame compared to some of yours, but I'm proud of them. It took a lot of research and time to design them.

To anyone lurking and new like me, just keep trying to learn and grow from this list, there are more people that will help you than not.

Chris
http://www.geocities.com/chrisfitztex/chris.htm