Re: ...impersonating a technical writer...

Subject: Re: ...impersonating a technical writer...
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- bdk -dot- net>
To: "e.ruddock" <e -dot- ruddock -at- home -dot- com>, Techwr-l <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 06:45:21 -0400

Your lack of experience?

Because you aren't using FrameMaker and Robohelp?

Ahem, but in my experience, you are doing what tech writers do.

Despite all the talk on this list and in the STC about interviewing
users, and usability studies and testing, and using FrameMaker for
everything, by far the majority of tech writing probably gets done in MS
Word (God help us) without any input from an audience at all. I doubt
you have limited your career very much by learning to work with
engineers and processing their data into documentation. In fact, I
imagine you are well ahead of the game. However, if you can find a
better job, by all means go for it, but I wouldn't mind your job too
much...

Chris Kowalchuk