RE: Networking (was: Silently screaming)

Subject: RE: Networking (was: Silently screaming)
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:41:55 -0400

I have been the recipient of several contracts because of groundwork laid 2
to 3 years before.

I had one VP of a major defense contractor call me and say "Harry, I have a
project, it is in trouble, are you available?"

I had another contractor call me and say "Harry. I have this opportunity
available, and I thought of you, because you don't say "No" when you know
you have to do 'grunt' work. It entails tech writing, installing PC's,
running cables, and training users." This was with a major commercial firm.

Both of these contracts were long-term, and required long hours, travel, and
working with all types of people. One required two trips to San Diego, CA
for a week each, a quick round-robin trip to Hawaii, 4-5 months in Virginia
Beach, and two overseas trips. Not bad, for a tech-writer with a very
diverse background!

Some times I say in an interview, "I do windows, do toilets, and clean
grease traps." As you can imagine, these are relative 'dirty' jobs no one
else wants to do.

I totally support networking, and as was stated in an earlier posting on
this list, you gotta be able to produce what you need to satisfy the
customer, so you get asked back.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."

Networking has sometimes indirectly led me to jobs, but mainly
it's given me opportunities to meet people, and if that someday results in
an amazing
dream job, that's great. If not, I still know all those great people!

In Silicon Valley, networking pays off big time, particularly
when there's a shortage of qualified tech writers (as there is now). I
can't
count the number of times I've fielded calls from headhunters asking if I
knew
anyone for this or that spot. Further, by not burning bridges when you
leave one
place, you wind up with instant references for anything new, and potential
contacts at new
places when they move on.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems