Re: Master/Slave

Subject: Re: Master/Slave
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "Mark L. Levinson" <markl -at- gilian -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 10:59:48 -0700

Mark, I've run into a similar problem with Federal Aviation Administration discussion of the LORAN navigation system. Where they used to refer to a 'Master' station and 'Slave' stations, they now use the terms 'Master' and 'Secondary'. It doesn't exactly convey the functions performed, but it is more PC>

Marc

I'd like to request an update on the usage of
"slave" and "master" in computer terminology.
If anyone feels the need for discussion, fine,
but to me the question seems fairly simple.
Is the terminology offensive to anyone who is
at all knowledgeable, and if so is there an
accepted alternative? In my particular case,
server/client won't do because that pair of
terms is already in use.

I'll be happy to collect answers and post a
summary.

Mark L. Levinson
markl -at- gilian -dot- com
who remembers annually, at about this time,
that he was a slave in Egypt.

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

I love it here;
..there's no where I'd rather be,
.....there's nothing I'd rather be doing,
........and no one I'd rather be doing it with.