Re: Terminology

Subject: Re: Terminology
From: "Kate O'Neill" <kate -at- kathleen -dot- net>
To: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 22:23:37 -0700

"Marc A. Santacroce" wrote:
> Sorry, I don't mean to be ignorant, but could one of you please tell
> me what is meant by "Enterprise System".

Hi Marc.

Generally, an enterprise system is an application or suite
of applications designed to cover a range of operations
from one end of a business to another. The system often has
specialized interfaces for different user groups, such as
accountants or salespeople. In addition, the software is
usually configured for each client by a professional
services organization or implementation partner.

ERP (enterprise resource planning) systems like SAP are, of
course, enterprise systems. One of my clients is another
example: they provide an end-to-end multimedia asset
management system for industries such as advertising or
broadcast news.

ObTECHWR-L: Most of my technical writing career has been
in enterprise software companies. From a tech pubs point
of view, enterprise systems present a few challenges:

- You generally have a much larger variety of users to
consider than when documenting shrinkwrapped apps.
- Users may have a legacy system in place with which
they're quite familiar (whether that system is analog
or digital, they're bound to have trouble letting it
go) and the documentation has to work through that.
- Because most clients have custom-configured software,
the pubs must either address each client's interface
or use general enough information to cover all cases
while still providing useful content.

And so on. Publications projects for enterprise systems
require all sorts of special consideration. But the work
can really be great fun. :-)

Hope this helps,

- Kate O'