Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: helen cygnarowicz <bigh -at- slip -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 23:01:51 -0700

I think job seekers should be very careful of the way they talk about their
current or previous employer(s). I have to admit to being put off by someone
telling me how his carpal tunnel syndrome was not addressed to his satisfaction
and so a lawsuit was in the wings. Fortunately, he could not produce any
satisfactory samples of his work, and he was not a good fit with my other staff
members, so we did not really need to consider him seriously as a contender.
(there were also other reasons)

This same person called me daily for two weeks, making himself look less and
less like an alternate if someone else declined our offer. So nagging the
interviewer or hiring manager is not too cool either. A polite inquiry is
certainly OK, to be expected even. But daily?

I also suggest that arrogance is not a substitute to justified pride of
accomplishment. Tone it down a bit, OK? I don't think it's a good idea to tell
the hiring manager that you are much better at management and can solve all
management problems, but don't expect to get the chance there because the
promotion process seems to take so long (1 year is too long?). I'm not inclined
to look too favorably on someone who wants my job even before the interview is
over. I mean, I'm human too, you know?
Otherwise, a job seeker should not be too afraid to pat him/herself on the back
for work well done as long as it could be shown how that attitude would benefit
the new employer. Personally, I like people who have a good sense of self worth.
Too much deprecation is as bad as arrogance. So don't be too mousy either.
(Nothing against mice, don't flame me.)