Re: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re: Advice for Job Seekers
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 19:26:41 -0400

Mark Baker wrote:

> Lydia Wong wrote
>
> > One of our favorite questions to ask interviewees is "what are the three
> > best and the three worst traits of your former managers?"
>
> I am disturbed by question of this sort being used in interviews. (I don't
> mean to pick in this example or on Lydia in particular, my compliant is
> against the whole genre of such questions. "What is your greatest weakness?"
> is a classic of the genre. Their use is very widespread.)

I was asked that once by an outside consulting firm. I informed the
interviewer that his questions had nothing to do with my qualifications
and walked. That night I received a phone call from the prospective
employer asking how much salary I wanted. I no longer wanted the job but
respected this man so I quoted about twice what I thought I was worth.
You guessed it. I did some fancy backpedaling when he offered me the job
anyway.

Moral of the story,
1. always be positive and confident.
2. act in a professional manner.
3. convey the attitude that you understand that they need you as much,
or more, than you need them.
4. convey, in a manner consistent with your natural character, that
while you appreciate the interview and opportunity, there are lines that
you will not cross or let them cross.

--
Peter

Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig.
You soon realize they both enjoy it.