How Skilled Are You?

Subject: How Skilled Are You?
From: Dianne Blake <write-it -at- home -dot- com>
To: Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 11:18:57 -0700

I found this listing for a technial writer on a Job Fair web URL. This
is the kind of listing that makes me crazy as a technical writer. I've
been a writer for over 15 years and still, I continue to see ads like
these. I was a programmer and systems analyst and I do have some
experience in these areas - BUT!

Since this ad only asks for a Technical Writer, not a senior technical
writer, they are probably only willing to pay say $30K a year - maybe
$45K to someone who has all these skills. If I had all these skills,
I'd probably go for a software engineering job that pays $70K a year.

To add insult to injury, the person who wrote this didn't check their
grammer or spelling.

What is your feeling on this?

Technical Writer
Date Posted: 03/10/00 Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Full Time

Two year degree of equivalent experience is required. Must have 6 months
experience with Web development of a Microsoft NT environment be
familiar with HTML, Web page design/graphics creation layout, internet
and directory design and posses a willingness to learn new skills.
Desired skills would include Database application using Oracle, SQL+ and
Microsoft Access, Network Management, NT Server, Netscape Enterprise
Server, Microsoft FrontPage, and Adobe Acrobat.