RE: Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: RE: Advice for Job Seekers
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 18:35:42 -0500

In our previous episode, Scottie Lover wrote:

Several people have suggested asking interviewees about differences with
previous bosses.

Is there any remotely acceptable way to allude to a boss whom even HR
described as "a congenital liar" (and whom the Vice Chairman termed
"evil"), and/or to one who was very unethical (and, with whom I locked
horns on my very first day when she directed me to go around and cover up
the pirated software on all the computers to hide it from the auditors,
which I flatly refused to do), who was subsequently fired for embezzlement?

With a case that blatant, I think it might be reasonable to say "I had a boss who was eventually fired for embezzlement, and before that I had conflicts with her relating to honesty issues." That doesn't sound goody-two-shoelike to me, but it covers all the necessary ground.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary." -- James D. Nicoll