Re: How Skilled Are You?

Subject: Re: How Skilled Are You?
From: "Stan Xhiao" <mrlukeplease -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: write-it -at- home -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 07:47:19 CDT

That's nothing. When I was last on a job search, I received many calls from headhunters looking for tech writers who could also code in C++, Java, knew SQL backward and forward, etc., and they quoted salaries in the range of $35-$45K/year. One job, which was open for at least nine months, called for a tech writer with 5 years experience and an E.E. degree in optical, paid about $40K.

I would tell the headhunters that people with that kind of background commanded salaries of at least $70K a year in this market, and they commiserated. But the customer set the price and there was nothing the headhunters could do about it except beat their heads on their desks.