Re:Advice for Job Seekers

Subject: Re:Advice for Job Seekers
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 12:20:34 -0700

At 07:31 AM 4/6/00 -0500, Patricia Castin (Trish) wrote:

>On a positive note regarding interviews: Show the interviewer The Real
>You. I WANT to hire people with a sense of humor. If you don't have one,
>you can't play on my team...

LOL! Yes (from both sides of the fence)!
Let me share what I did... <giggle>

Well, I sometimes go on interviews just to see what's out there. (Basically,
I hand my resume to every developer who leaves this place.) The last time I
was called to an interview, I was sitting with the doc manager, winding
up the interview. Both of us were coming to the realization that I was too
experienced and too expensive, but otherwise it would have been nice.

The office door was closed, and, like many offices around here, there was
a narrow, full-length window beside the door. One of the developers knocked
on the window, so I turned around to look and when I saw what was going on,
I stuck my thumbs in my ears, wiggled my fingers, and stuck my tounge out!

As I was leaving, I was introduced to the developer I'd made a face at and
told him I was interviewing for the argumentative-bitch-techwriter-from-hell
position.

A week later, I received an email from the developer who got me the interview.
He said that I was the talk of the office -- everybody wanted to hire the
woman who'd made a face at so-and-so!

-Sue
susan-gallagher -at- vertel -dot- com