RE: Swaggin' for Dollars

Subject: RE: Swaggin' for Dollars
From: "Paliotta, Mary" <MPaliotta -at- comversens -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:39:54 -0400

Reading the posts on this subject, I couldn't agree more. But it also
occurs to me that much of the obsession with banal/archaic grammar, etc. is
just a reflection of the frustrations/difficulties we face in our jobs
daily. It's one thing to speak of how much ground there is yet to cover in
the newest technology industries, and quite another when we're forced to
recount all the ludicrous actions we witness going on right under our noses
at work every day-and that we have so little control over. Even if it
directly impacts our ability to our jobs!

For example, I work in software development, and although I'm very proud of
what I do and believe I do it very well, let's face it, the majority of what
I do, or the programmers, or anybody else here, is not 'rocket science'.
Much of it is simply applying common sense and a little attention to the job
at hand which we possess skills for. It seems to me that if I had some
control in resolving even a fraction of the absurdities that go on around me
every day, I wouldn't get nearly as fastidious as I do sometimes about
inconsequential details that I do have control over.

So I guess, let me ask: How can a writer to measure the good/poor
management of an organization when job hunting? Especially when these
industries are all going through such frequent reorganizations, mergers,
etc. (practically each year some major event is taking place)?! Companies
get away with a lot in all this 'activity' because there's no way to predict
how things will eventually settle down at these places (or where you already
are). Really, how is it possible to identify places that have just typical
work/industry problems vs. wacked out and out-of-control places that
practically create 5x as many problems as they manage to control in a day?

Just curious, Mary