Re: Microsoft Manual of Style (was log on to NOT login)

Subject: Re: Microsoft Manual of Style (was log on to NOT login)
From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:52:28 -0400

I agree about CDs. Current convention is not CD-ROM, except when referring
to the CD-ROM drive, although one company I worked for in the past insisted
on using CD-ROM for the media. I believe CD-ROM drives were earlier called
optical drives and sometime still run across that usage.

Roger Bell
Technical Writer
Optio Software, Inc.
http://www.optiosoftware.com/
E-mail: mailto:rbell -at- optiosoftware -dot- com
Telephone: +1.770.576.3718

John Wilcox <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com> wrote:
<snip>
The reason I checked is that I almost always see data CDs referred to as
CDs, just as music CDs are. Of course, the MS manual was written five years
ago, so maybe it's just not up with current conventions.