RE: Importance of Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Importance of Technical Writing
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 12:46:04 -0400

Right on the mark again Andrew!

In other words, work hard and learn your product. It usually requires that
you make a nuisance of yourself in development meetings, QA meetings etc, by
asking questions--not just what it does, but why it does it. Then you go one
step further by offering your assistance to help design or write specs, test
plans, whatever it takes. And in the end it's always worth it. For proof,
here's the text of a message I just got about 20 minutes ago from a lead
developer for whom I did 8 UI designs in the last two days:

"These look great! When you do these, do you mock up an html doc or a gif?
If it is an html doc it would be very beneficial to the guys developing
**(secret new function)** to be able to get their hands on those."

Gist of it is, now that I've developed the basic UI for the function, when
it goes to testing, it'll take me about 25% of the time it normally would to
write the help and the user manual sections covering the function.

It's way cool working here!

Connie Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services