Re: Variations on a task

Subject: Re: Variations on a task
From: "Lisa Wright" <liwright -at- uswest -dot- net>
To: "Michael West" <mwest -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:20:29 -0600

Michael West makes an important point when he says:

> Be sure that the two (or more) ways of doing something are really doing
> EXACTLY the same thing.

For example, in Word, selecting File>New displays the New dialog with all
the different templates. Clicking the New button opens a new document based
on Normal.dot. An important difference if you want the users to work from a
particular template!

Ditto for the rest, though I am having an interesting dilemma in terms of
multiple access. In the application I'm documenting, different processes can
get you to the same end point (such as creating an order). I decided to go
with the "Do one of the following" approach, but I like Melanie's wording
better.

Thanks!
Lisa Wright
PeakEffects

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
>
> Sponsored by IEEE Professional Communication Society. Meet PCS
> members and officers in Booth 304 during exhibit hours at the STC
> Conference, May 21-23. Learn more about us at http://www.ieeepcs.org.
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: liwright -at- uswest -dot- net
leave-techwr-l-31081M -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com