RE: The garden PATH

Subject: RE: The garden PATH
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 08:46:08 -0700

<<From the Edit menu, select Find, then choose Files
> or Folders" versus "Select Edit>Find>Files or Folders.>>

I prefer to present a series of steps in a format that looks like a
series, rather than a format that looks like a narrative paragraph. I use
the second type of format when I can, but if I have reason to believe that a
large percentage of the audience are totally new to software or Windows, I
spell it out more clearly. So, for beginners, I would use a series:

1. select the Edit menu
2. select Find
3. select Files or Folders

If I thought the audience was more familiar with computers, I would
use the second type above. However, I prefer:

Select Edit-->Find-->Files or Folders

This might be because I am a UNIX person and, in UNIX, > is a
command with a meaning. Thus, I don't automatically see > as an arrow. I
prefer to use a more explicit arrow.

Just my 2 cents.

Janet

Janet Valade