"parallelize"

Subject: "parallelize"
From: "Scudder, Beth" <beth -dot- scudder -at- retek -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 14:30:51 -0500

I've come across the word(?) "parallelize" in some white papers I'm editing,
and I am unsure whether it is an accepted word in any context. Presumably it
means "to make parallel".

I know I can write around this word(?) usage fairly easily, but am now
wondering if it is a legitimate, verifiable word...

I've checked a number of dictionaries, both physically and over the
Internet, and both mundane and computer-related, and have been unable to
find this word(?).

Can anyone:

(1) Give me a verification of "parallelize" being a legitimate word, or
not, and in what context,

-or-

(2) Send me the URL for the computer dictionary that's frequently
referenced on this list, but which, of course, I can't find now?

TIA,

Beth Scudder
Technical Editor/Writer
Retek, Inc.