Re: Performance Appraisal Dilemma

Subject: Re: Performance Appraisal Dilemma
From: "Brian Harris" <blh -at- cyberscience -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:07:30 +0100

I'm sorry, for a moment there I could have sworn you'd written "I need to
write my performance appraisal for my boss..." Maybe I'm living in a
different universe entirely, but isn't a) knowing what you have achieved
and b) appraising those achievements - part of your boss's job? Otherwise
why are they your manager at all? Hang on, I can probably answer that one
myself - because he/she's too busy thinking up terms like "values-in-action"
<sigh> and filling in pretty charts with crayon..
The list of values you have been given are utterly meaningless. Vapid
worthless drivel (and that's being kind). Why not just tell your boss in a
helpful and respectful way that this system (if you can dignify it with such
a term) of appraisal is a nonsense that wastes everybody's time? "Sharing
with others"?? "Integrity, trust and respect"?? What, are you running for
office? The only purpose filling in this absurd appraisal will serve is
that it might test your 'creative writing' skills to the limit. There must
be a better way of assessing your performance, like maybe your boss
summoning up all those awesome powers of management and actually considering
your work carefully and discussing it with you??
Perhaps this sounds intolerant, but the more people that meekly go along
with dunderheaded management speak for fear of rocking the boat, the more
insidious it becomes. Of course, sometimes churning out dross for the
benefit of the communicationally-challenged (i.e. management) is preferable
to getting the sack for being 'awkward'.
HTH - altho' I don't see how it could.. :-)

Brian Harris Technical Author
blh -at- cyberscience -dot- com

"I've come round to your way of thinking.
Now I'm there I'm scared and I want to go home."