Decisions,decisions.(longish)

Subject: Decisions,decisions.(longish)
From: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:31:57 -0700

I need to ask your assistance in deciding whether I should accept a permanent position as a Documentation Manager, or continue contracting as a Senior Technical Writer.

I have over 17 years as a Tech Writer, and over 20 years as a manager. For the swift among you, that put me in my mid-50's. I elected to leave management about 10 years ago, because I was burned out, and I also realized my hands-on technical writing skills had deteriorated, and needed upgrading.

I am not so much concerned about the difference in rates between contract and perm, benefits, options etc. I think I have a pretty good handle on the relative value of these variable to me. I am a bit more concerned about the long term. The companies I am considering are solid and the compensation is competitive.

I can commit to a company now and give a good 5-10 years, whereas if I continue contracting, I might not be able to convince a company of that commitment a few years from now. On the other hand, I have to wonder how much longer I can stay competitive as a contractor, and where contracting will leave me in 5 years.

I realize that this is more philosophical discussion, but all inputs are appreciated.

Thank you,

Marc

Marc A. Santacroce
Senior Technical Writer,
ePubs, Inc.

I love it here;
..there's no where I'd rather be,
.....there's nothing I'd rather be doing,
........and no one I'd rather be doing it with.