Re: Interesting Product Review

Subject: Re: Interesting Product Review
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:18:06 -0700 (PDT)

As discouraging as it may be to read published
comments extolling the virtues of NOT reading the
documentation in order to learn a system, there is
merit in those comments.

As I'm sure other experienced writers have had happen
to them, I've been asked in the past what could be
done to reduce the amount of documentation needed by a
system or product. My answer always is that they
would have to design the system or product for users.
Even then, I don't think you will eliminate the need
for documentation, but how much you need can be
lessened by making the parts that users use intuitive,
self-descriptive, and easy to use.

Lest that sound pessimistic, I have yet to have anyone
who asked me the question take my answer seriously.
So I'm not expecting to be out of work anytime soon
(unless I hit the lottery or learn of a rich distant
relative who has died and left me independently
wealthy. Applicants for such a position will be
favorably received.)

=====
Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer