RE: On Summer Help

Subject: RE: On Summer Help
From: "Kieffer, Barry" <Barry_Kieffer -at- adc -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:55:36 -0700

I would treat a part-time, volunteer, student helper (i.e. high school
student) for the summer, as a technical writing intern - and no less.

This should be viewed as more than just summer help, this person might take
to technical writing and show a real talent; maybe even change their future
career plans.

We all have to do mundane chores (formatting, maintenance, etc.). I would
try to engage the "intern" with as much verity as possible. Show them how to
put together a simple doc plan. Give them some editing. Have them work a few
days on updating (or starting) a corporate style guide. Give them a small
maintenance project. Have them do some original writing. Allow them to sit
in on engineering or core team meetings so they get a feel for the job.

My buck-three-eighty.

Regards,

Barry Kieffer
Sr. Technical Writer